- 2 duck breasts, skin on
- 1 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 2 sprigs rosemary, 1 sprig finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp Top Mates Savory Cherry
- 2 tbsp vino cotto
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 OZ (50g) cold butter, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Score the duck breasts on the diagonal cutting through the skin and fat, rub with the chopped rosemary, salt and pepper. Heat a pan on high heat and then sear the duck, skin side down reducing heat to medium. Sear skin side down for about 10 minutes. You will find that you will need to remove some of the fat rendered whilst cooking. Just tip into a bowl and keep, as it is perfect for roasting potatoes in.
- Once the skin is crispy turn the breast over and seal the other side. Cook for a further 10 minutes turning the breasts a couple of times. Remove duck from pan and sit to one side for 10 – 15 minutes. Whilst the duck is resting it is time to make the sauce. Take 3/4 of the cubed butter and add to the pan on low/medium heat. Add the rosemary sprig, cherries, Top Mates Savory Cherry Sauce and a good seasoning of salt and pepper. Deglaze the pan with the vino cotto and then add the stock. Increase the temperature a little whilst stirring the sauce. Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken slightly until you obtain a lovely red syrup.
- Add the remaining butter, stir whilst it melts into the sauce and then remove the sauce from the heat. Adding the butter now will give the sauce a lovely gloss. Spoon the sauce over each duck breast and serve with some roasted celeriac wedges, potatoes or celeriac mash.