- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- extra virgin oil
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 18 OZ (1/2kg) kg lamb mince
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 tbsp Top Mates Apple & Mint Aussie Finishing Sauce, plus extra for layering
- 5 potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 bay leaf
Let’s start cooking
- Preheat fan forced oven to 350°F (180°C). Place a large frying pan on high heat and add a good swig of olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic, carrot, onion, bay leaf and celery to the pan and cook until soft.
- To the pan add the mince and cook with the vegetables until brown, stirring occasionally to make sure the ingredients do not stick to the pan. If you find that they are sticking a little then reduce the heat to medium. Once the mince has browned add the white wine and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the Top Mates Apple & Mint Sauce and beef stock and stir well. Reduce the heat to low/medium and allow the mince mixture to simmer. You will need to allow it to cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Whilst the mince is simmering, slice the potatoes, with skin on very thinly. You could use a mandolin or food processor with slicing attachment if you find that easier. Set to one side.
- Once the liquid in the mince has reduced by half remove from heat. Take a medium sized baking dish, about 6 inch x 6 inch (15cm x 15cm) and cover the base of it with a layer of mince. Then on top of the mince place a layer of the thinly sliced potatoes. On top of the potatoes spread some of the crumbled feta and also add dollops of the Top Mates Apple & Mint Sauce (please feel free to add as much or little of the jam as you like).
- Repeat the steps above until you have filled your baking dish with the mince, potatoes, Apple & Mint Sauce and cheese. Once you have filled the dish top with some grated tasty cheese and place into your preheated oven to cook for 40 – 45 minutes. If you find that the cheese on top is becoming too brown cover with aluminium foil part way through the cooking process. You want to achieve a nice golden crust on top.
- Serving suggestion – serve with a Greek or garden salad and extra Apple & Mint Finishing Sauce if desired - 1 teaspoon per person.
Recipe by Tanya Bartolini