- 2.2 LB (1kg) piece of Filet Mignon (eye fillet), trimmed of excess fat and prepared for roasting
- 4 heaped tbsp. Top Mates Onion & Shiraz Aussie Finishing Sauce
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin oil
- 1.7 OZ (50g) butter, room temperature
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
Let’s start cooking
- Preheat a fan forced conventional oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a * inch x 8 inch (20cm x 20cm) baking tray with baking paper. Have your butcher prepare your eye fillet for roasting by removing any excess fat. Place the eye fillet on a cutting board and pat dry with paper towel. Season the meat well with salt and pepper ensuring that all sides are covered with seasoning.
- Place a medium to large frying pan on high heat and cover the bottom of the pan with a light layer of olive oil. Bring to heat and then place the filet mignon into the pan. Cook the filet until all sides are browned and a nice crust has formed. Remove the meat from the pan and place back onto a cutting board. Take the Top Mates Onion & Shiraaz Aussie Finishing Sauce and cover the entire roast ensuring you have a nice even layer.
- Transfer the roast to the baking tray and place in the oven uncovered to cook for 18 – 20 minutes, for a roast medium-rare. Whilst the roast is cooking combine the garlic and butter in a small bowl and set to one side. Once the roast has finished cooking remove from the oven and cover with a piece of aluminium foil and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. When ready to serve slice the roast into pieces about 1 inch (2 – 3) cm thick and then serve on a plate, topped with a good dollop of the garlic butter.
- Serving suggestion – serve with green beans and crunchy roast potatoes.
Recipe by Tanya Bartolini